Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

Hello David,

Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 9:07:50 AM, you wrote:

> If the color spaces specified in CSS can represent the range of
> colors that developers want to specify, there isn't (I don't think)
> a loss of capability in forbidding other options.  And there is a
> gain, in terms of simplicity of the platform and avoiding dealing
> with the bandwidth and complexity of loading external resources.

RGB colorspace profiles are a few kilobytes in size. (CMYK ones are
typically larger because they are lookup table based).

Given that many websites load multiple images that are hundreds of
kilobytes each, and all the other resources like scripts which can be
large,it seems very odd to cripple the functionality just so that we
can save a few k. So forbidding them seems like a non-starter here.

For the complexity argument, Firefox already ships with it's own ICC
implementation (qcms).

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley