Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

On Tuesday 2016-02-16 02:30 -0500, Lea Verou wrote:
> > On 11Feb, 2016, at 21:16, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> > I think we’re prefer to avoid referencing external resources for colors. What do you show before the resource is available? Transparent?
>
> That is something we'll need to solve, just like all the discussions about the @font-face fallbacks.
> What exactly is the alternative to not referencing external resources?! Just having a list of keywords and if the author wants to reference something else, well, touch luck?

This seems rather different from fonts, in that specifying a fixed
set of alternatives (i.e., a list of color spaces known to CSS), if
done right, doesn't limit what developers can do, only how they can
do it (which is something language designers limit all the time).
If the color spaces specified in CSS can represent the range of
colors that developers want to specify, there isn't (I don't think)
a loss of capability in forbidding other options.  And there is a
gain, in terms of simplicity of the platform and avoiding dealing
with the bandwidth and complexity of loading external resources.

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂