Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

Hello Florian,

>> On Feb 11, 2016, at 11:59, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I like icc() fine.
>>
>> I dislike this name. icc is short for "International Color Consortium”,

Yes, ICC profiles is what the industry ended up standardizing on. They
are a generalization of the functionality in Apple ColorSync.

I'm fine with not calling the function icc, but the fact is that the
profiles pointed to will be ICC profiles.

An ICC profile is simply a mapping from the characterized color space
to a profile connection space (either Lab or XYZ) and back.

>>  and that doesn’t make sense as a function name to me.
>>
>> Is CSS going to spec the acceptable list of ICC profile names, or
>> is this left undefined?

Why would there be an "acceptable list"? We don't specify an
"acceptable list" of fonts people can use, for example.

> I tend to prefer color() over icc() as well.

> As for where the profile names come from, should at least hardcode
> sRGB, and could hardcode a few more, but in general I expect that we
> would also have an @rule to declare color spaces.

Yes, exactly.

> @colors "adobe-rgb" {
>   profile: url("https://www.example.com/adobe.icc");
> }

Right.

I was thinking of @color-profile as the at-rule name, and src for the
descriptor that tells you where it is (by analogy with @font-face).
But your syntax would also work.

I like the name being inline like that rather than having a second
descriptor for the name.

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley