Re: [mediaqueries] status and moving forward

> On Feb 10, 2016, at 10:17, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> Overall, the spec looks really good. I think we should take a cut of
>> it and ship Level 4 with everything that we're sure is stable, since
>> I think that's probably a lot of it. I just raised a few issues, but
>> they should be straightforward to solve imho, being mostly syntactic.
>> I say let's solve those, fill out 2.5. Combining Media Features, and
>> publish an LCWD.
>>
>> Stuff I vaguely remember (or are noted in the draft) as not being
>> 100% sorted as to whether they're the right approach:
>>  - light-level
>>  - inverted-colors
>>  - custom MQ
>>
>> These I think should be deferred to Level 4 so as not to hold up the
>> rest of the features, some of which are desperately needed (like
>> pointer and hover). And of course we should continue to actively
>> work on them, and fold in the prefer-* stuff that's quite closely
>> related, use case wise, to the first two.
>
> We should definitively cut custom MQ from this level.

+1

> I think inverted-colors is fine. It's simple, and addresses a
> realistic need presented in iOS devices.

Probably, but we I am partly reserving my opinion on whether this
design is final until we know what kind of MQs we will get to deal
with the OS/UA forcibly inverting the colors or forcibly switching
to a light-on-dark mode, and doing so in a smart way that doesn't
mess with pictures or turn shadows into highlights.

There's a good chance that this would be an independent MQ, but
I am not 100% sure.

> What problem do you have with light-level?  Aside from the "should we
> also map a11y concerns to this", I think the feature itself is 100%
> stable and well-designed.

+ 1

 - Florian