Re: [css-grid] Reduced Subgrid Proposal

On 20 Apr 2016, at 14:21, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This makes general sense to me.  By "explicit grid span", do you mean
>> "must
>> provide start and end lines" or is it sufficient to provide start
>> lines and
>> assume "span 1" for the end lines?
>
> We have to be able to tell what its span is; whether you do that by
> providing explicit start/end lines, or an explicit span, or just rely
> on the default "span 1" behavior, doesn't matter to us.

Oh right, so no 'auto'.  What's the defined behavior if someone tries to
supply 'auto' for a start and/or end line?  Treat the result as if it
were the explicitly-declared equivalent, refuse to subgrid, or something
else?

>> If I've understood all this correctly, the subgrid proposal on offer
>> here
>> would easily handle <http://www.giftcards.com/virtual-gift-cards>,
>> which an
>> attendee at AEA Seattle showed me while we were talking about
>> layout.  Am I in fact correct about that?
>
> The "subgrid" part is the image+text of card?  Then I think so, yeah.
> The content area would have to be a grid on its own so it can sprout
> implicit rows (probably nested within a page-level grid that handles
> the header/footer), and then each card would just be a 1colĂ—2row
> subgrid.

That makes sense.  This feels like a workable solution to me, though I
worry I've overlooked something.

--
Eric A. Meyer - http://meyerweb.com/