Re: [css3-break] fragment selectors

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:10:25 -0700
To: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Matt Haggard <haggardii@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:
> And like I suggested, styling on ::nth-*-fragment() would not affect fragmentation, which alleviates all of these concerns.

::nth-fragment not affecting fragmentation is surprising and
incompatible with how ::first-line works.  ::first-line styling
explicitly *does* affect fragmentation - it can easily alter where the
linebreak occurs.  Anything similar *should* act the same, which is
why we're not planning to add them to native CSS. ^_^

Like I said, Houdini Custom Layout can handle this reasonably well,
tho - by taking a holistic approach to the layout, it can determine
whether things will break or not, and what to do when they do break.
It can make the somewhat-arbitrary decision about what to do in the
case of cycles, and can tweak to satisfaction (or offer a config for
it).  A library handling this is definitely not easy, but it shouldn't
be ridiculously hard either.

This is *precisely* what the Custom * stuff is about: addressing
complex niche cases that are worth solving for people, but not worth
adding to the language and shipping to everyone.