Re: Towards a better testsuite: Attributions

On 03/24/2016 01:00 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> I went through all of the all of the metadata in
> <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2015Oct/0004.html>;
> there's rough agreement on removing much of what we currently have.
> That said, I think it's worthwhile to reiterate that requiring *any*
> metadata causes friction. Tests written by browser vendors are rarely
> a file or two which is quick to add metadata too. I know in general
> people seem interested in using the same infrastructure to run both
> web-platform-tests and csswg-test, which essentially requires the
> metadata required to run the tests be identical across the two.

Wrt authoring information... It would be convenient not to
have to include these in the test files. However, in most
projects his information is in the checkin logs, and we
don't really have those for tests that are shared across
repositories like this.

Its certainly possible the browser vendors don't care, but
individual contributors and other organizations that contribute
tests (which we want more of, not less of) might appreciate being
acknowledged for their contributions to a particular test suite.

I don't have a good answer, but I think we should have one.
Simplest case, we can keep <link rel="author">, but make it
optional.

~fantasai