Re: [css-values] Comments on Serialization of calc

On 4/2/16, 9:22 AM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>On 04/01/2016 03:47 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>
>> While this may have some theoretical value, there are no authors in
>> the wild today depending on this, as IE is the only browser that
>> preserves things exactly.  All other browsers simplify at least
>> somewhat, so authors already have to deal with the fact that their
>> input and output might not be identical (or else they're writing
>> really broken code).
>
>This is a very misleading statement. Mozilla only simplifies numerical
>factors, so in fact IE and Mozilla's behaviors are very close and
>preserve almost everything.
>   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=4029

>Also, Rossen's concern (which I share) is not just about what authors
>are depending on right now (given lack of interop between Blink/Webkit
>and IE/FF, it's probably not much), but what would be useful for them
>to have going into the future.

Given that we’re talking about debugging, lack of browser interop may be a more minor factor than is usual. If one or more browsers have more useful debugging tool behavior, it’s likely that people *do* depend on it if it happens to be the browser they choose to start development in.

Thanks,

Alan