Re: [css-round-display] What is the % in device-radius relative to?

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Hyojin Song <hyojin22.song@lge.com> wrote:
> As a result, I think this syntax(one value of device-radius and relationship btw
> length and percentages) is the best way as of now, but there might be better way
> to test display's shape using Media queries. The other platforms have very
> simple method to identify the display shape. (e.g. isRound() in Android) The
> upcoming displays could be well handled using the device-radius described above
> for the time being.

Yes, I agree that a single value is best, but my issue is that *the
current definition doesn't work*, for the reasons I gave earlier in
the thread.  It still needs fixing.  (I think Florian's suggested fix
is far too complicated for such a simple value, and I believe it's
also ill-defined in a number of ways.)

Just saying that it's relative to the width, or the height, or the
geometric mean of the two, is sufficient.

Percentages and lengths *do* need to be relative to the same thing.
If they're not, then you can't use calc() well.  We already made this
mistake a few times in CSS, and we have a wiki page dedicated to
warning against it: https://wiki.csswg.org/spec/calc-and-percentages