Re: [css-text] CSS Text Module Level 4

Liam Quin wrote:
> Measure is the printer's term for the line length (in effect).

ok, this does result in hits [1] which seem better (but also more
clouded in haystacks) than calling it "typography".

> However, I agree that it could usefully be clarified.

> But, "particularly
> when the containing content box is small in the inline text progression
> dimension so that each stacked line box contains few or no word-break
> opportunities" is back in the land of CSS jargon but not much clearer.

Yeah, that wouldn't really help. It's "technically" clearer, but not
practically.

> A glossary definition of measure (which doesn't correspond to any single CSS
> property directly) might be more helpful. For example,
>
> measure - the space available for lines of text; this gives the maximum
> possible line-length. It is generally equal to the dimension of the CSS
> content box in the inline progression direction but may also be affected by
> floats or other intrusions in some circumstances.

yes

> might help? (I think we actually agreed a simpler replacement for inline
> progression direction, which would obviously be used instead if so).

yes, but if you're going to go this way, then I'd request that the
word be linked to its glossary entry when it's used to mean this.

[1] http://www.d.umn.edu/~jjacobs1/Jacobson%20dissertation%2027aug2008abstractToC.pdf