Re: [css-text] CSS Text Module Level 4

On 2015-10-12 19:23, timeless wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> measures => areas ??
>>
>> But "measure" is the correct typographic term. FWIW I wouldn't want it
>> to be changed.
>
> I'm not a typography expert, so it's possible that this is correct.

Measure is the printer's term for the line length (in effect).

However, I agree that it could usefully be clarified. But, "particularly
when the containing content box is small in the inline text progression
dimension so that each stacked line box contains few or no word-break
opportunities" is back in the land of CSS jargon but not much clearer. A
glossary definition of measure (which doesn't correspond to any single
CSS property directly) might be more helpful. For example,

measure - the space available for lines of text; this gives the maximum
possible line-length. It is generally equal to the dimension of the CSS
content box in the inline progression direction but may also be affected
by floats or other intrusions in some circumstances.

might help? (I think we actually agreed a simpler replacement for inline
progression direction, which would obviously be used instead if so).

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C
XML Activity Lead;