Re: [css-cascade-4][css3-ui] naming collision: the "default" value

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 06:22:19 -0700
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 04/23/2015 01:18 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> If we have "reset" and "unset", I imagine people will confuse the two and will have to look up every time which one to use. I
> consider that to be a language design failure. It's like replaceChild(nodeA, nodeB) in DOM -- it is ambiguous and impossible
> to remember what the argument order should be, so I have to look it up or trial-and-error every time.

I'd have been ok with 'reset' (since it effectively "resets" the state
to what it was at the beginning of your cascade origin), but this is a
good point.

However, I also don't want to use a term that is technically *incorrect*
(which makes it *more* difficult for people to understand how things
actually work!) so ua-default or browser-default or anything like that
is IMHO not acceptable.

~fantasai