Re: [css-text] useful 'hanging-punctuation: last' characters

From: Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:27:55 -0400
To: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 09:06 -0400, Ambrose LI wrote:
> Le lundi 30 mars 2015, Brad Kemper < brad.kemper@gmail.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml',
> 'brad.kemper@gmail.com');>> a écrit :
> >
> > Requiring a span around it makes it much much less useful to me.
> > But if that's just to avoid hanging other colons that aren't last,
> > that's rarely a
> > problem for form labels, in my experience.
> >

> Rarely a problem *in English*, but probably not universally rare if
> we consider all languages.

It's actually the sort of problem that client-side transforms (whether
in CSS, XSLT or JavaScript) address relatively cleanly, at least in
theory - to add markup based on text content.

> I tried to not top post; it's incredibly difficult to not top post
when writing on a mobile device.

There's a bug in my mailer right now whereby it crashes if I delete
too much quoted text, so I'm trimming text less than usual!

Liam