Re: [css-text] useful 'hanging-punctuation: last' characters

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 06:38:39 -0700
Cc: "Liam R. E. Quin" <liam@w3.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 6:06 AM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le lundi 30 mars 2015, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> a ¨¦crit :
>>
>> Requiring a span around it makes it much much less useful to me. But if that's just to avoid hanging other colons that aren't last, that's rarely a problem for form labels, in my experience.
>
> Rarely a problem *in English*, but probably not universally rare if we consider all languages. Finnish speakers can correct me but in Finnish, AFAIK, the colon is used for separating acronyms from their inflexional suffixes (much like how we use the apostrophe in English if you still follow the old rule of either apostrophe or typographic contrast), so I expect to see the colon much more frequently in tables if the page is in Finnish.

I admit I am not familiar with that. Those can end up on the end of a line?

Maybe we could have something like 'hanging-punctuation: terminal(": -")' to say that colons and hyphens should hang when they are the last character of a block box (the value using functional notation to accept a string of space-separated characters that can hang).