Re: [css-transforms] Specifying different transitions properties for different transform functions

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:26:46 -0700
To: Zacqary Adam Xeper <zxeper@fastcompany.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Zacqary Adam Xeper
<zxeper@fastcompany.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I've run into a problem working with CSS transitions on the
> transform property: I'd like to specify a different transition-duration and
> transition-timing-function for transform: scale() and transform:
> translate(). Unfortunately, the only thing I'm allowed to do is:
>
> transition: transform 0.5s;
>
> What I'd like to be able to do is something like:
>
> transition: scale 0.5s, translate 0.3s;
>
> Obviously that's not the best syntax for it, given that scale and translate
> are functions, not properties. But I haven't seen this discussed and I think
> it's worth looking into. I'd like to be able to have this kind of control
> with a standard library instead of having to render to <canvas> or
> something.

If the group accepts my proposal for transform/rotate/scale to be
properties (like perspective and motion-path are), then you'll be able
to transition those three independently, as long as you're using them.
(That is, it won't help you with random translate() functions inside
of transform; it'll let you transition the 'translate' property,
specifically.)