[css-transitions]: Lacking satisfying specification interrupted transitions

From: Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:09:57 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
I've been trying to implement smooth scrolling by means of CSS3 transitions.

Doing so I noticed that the current specification lacks specifying a
satisfying path on how interrupted transitions should be implemented to
provide a smooth segue from transition to transition.

In the development edition of the specification a suggestion has been
introduced to cope with this situation. However, the solution presented
therein doesn't seem comprehensive nor satisfying.

I'd like to suggest a different approach to interrupted transitions.

Given transition #1 will change property value (a) to property value (b) and
the adjoining transition will change the currently transitioned value (c) to
(d), my approach will apply to any kind of interrupted transitions:

   *  Reversed Transitions
       { (d) between (c) and (a) or (d) beyond (a) }

   *  Continued Transitions
       { (d) near or beyond (b) }

   *  Interrupted Transitions
       { (d) near (c) }

A documentation to my suggestion can be found here:

      https://youtu.be/ssiQYof5YLQ

My sample JavaScript code, simulating the suggestion interrupted transition
behaviour can be found here:

      http://jsfiddle.net/qLL607g8/

RFC,
Axel Dahmen