Re: [css-text] Enclosed alphanumerics and text-align:capitalize

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 19:04:21 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
On 13/3/15 21:34, John Hudson wrote:
> It seems to me very unfortunate that the enclosed alphanumeric
> characters have case mappings at all, because their typographic use is
> primarily as symbols, not as letters. As such, I would expect their
> 'casing' to be fixed, and not to be affected by capitalisation. So, for
> instance, I would expect capitalisation of this string
>
>      ⓐalpha
> to be
>      ⓐAlpha
> not
>      Ⓐalpha

I agree this is the most reasonable behavior. Browsers differ on this;
Gecko will render your example as ⓐAlpha, whereas WebKit and Blink
produce "Ⓐalpha".

According to the current CSS Text spec, Gecko's behavior here is
correct, AFAICT. However, the test at [1] disagrees.

JK

[1]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/run?base=css-text-3&batch=text-transform&test=text-transform/text-transform-capitalize-026.html