Re: [css-text] Enclosed alphanumerics and text-align:capitalize

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:34:41 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
It seems to me very unfortunate that the enclosed alphanumeric
characters have case mappings at all, because their typographic use is
primarily as symbols, not as letters. As such, I would expect their
'casing' to be fixed, and not to be affected by capitalisation. So, for
instance, I would expect capitalisation of this string

	ⓐalpha
to be
	ⓐAlpha
not
	Ⓐalpha

JH

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com

If stung by another man's bee, one must calculate the
extent of the injury, but also, if one swatted it in the
process, subtract the replacement value of the bee.
— Mediaeval Irish legalism