[css-speech] Splitting into Level 1 and Level 2

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 08:34:52 -0400
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Bo J Campbell <bcampbell@us.ibm.com>
While I think the CSS Speech module defines a really cool processing
model for speech rendering of a document, we don't have much in the
way of implementations. Also I suspect that a good speech stylesheet--
one that enhanced, rather than interfered with, the speech user
experience--would be hard to create without a better understanding of
the "default UA stylesheet" and a fair amount of specialized training,
so would be beyond the capabilities of most authors.

However, I think the 'speak' and 'speak-as' properties would be very
useful to have in the general authoring toolkit. The 'speak' property
in particular allows speech rendering to have different hiding/showing
of content than visual layout, without any weird hacks. So I'm thinking
maybe we should split CSS Speech into two levels:

   Level 1: 'speak' and 'speak-as'
   Level 2: Everything currently in the spec.

This might encourage implementation of 'speak' and 'speak-as' in
browsers.

Thoughts?

~fantasai