Re: : [css-snappoints] elements and nested scrollers

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> In New York, we resolved to add back ‘elements’ as a value for
> scroll-snap-points-x/y[1].
>
> However, I’m having second thoughts. Consider:

>         ... more ...
>
> Now, scrolling #intermediate requires that .inner items be snapped to
> #outer, so as the middle scroller scrolls, the outer scrolling is snapping
> to different positions. This seems undesirable. In general it seems bad for
> snapping to ever cross scroller boundaries. In fact, this seems worse than
> the issue I was trying to address with ‘elements’, which was that something
> with with "scroll-snap-coordinate” could suddenly start snapping to a
> different scroller (maybe even the document), if different intermediate
> elements gain or lose scrollability.
>
> There is one possible use case for skipping ancestor scrollers, which is
> if you want free horizontal scrolling in your immediate scroll container,
> but snapping on Y to happen on, say, the document.

Can we just say that an element contributes a horizontal scroll position to
the nearest ancestor whose overflow-x is "auto" or "scroll", and a vertical
scroll position to the nearest ancestor whose overflow-y is "auto" or
"scroll"?

Rob
owohooo
oioso