Re: [css-containment] "contain:layout" mixed with "display:inline" and block-in-inline

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Actually, we need to formatting-contextify blocks, too.  Otherwise the
>> internals of the block *can* affect the layout of things outside, via
>> pushing later floats around.
>
> I think this may already be covered by the spec text that says "The
> element must be a formatting context". (?)
>
> (though maybe that text needs massaging)

Aha, I *had* already thought of this.  Yes, that's the intent there,
and yes, the text probably needs massaging.

>> Since we have to FC blocks, and I think FC is *sufficient* to fix
>> inlines, we should probably just go for that, rather than
>> blockification.
>>
>> (Though I then need to define what it means to FCify a ruby, I guess.
>> Maybe it falls back to blockifying when it can't directly FCify the
>> display type.)
>
> Is there documentation anywhere on what it means to FCify a
> "display:inline" element?

Not quite, but it means it turns into an inline-block.  The new
Display spec makes this clearer: block/inline layout is covered by
either "flow" (no FC if its parent box is flow or flow-root) or
"flow-root" (FC).  "display:block" or "display:inline" are both "flow"
by default, but FCifying them turns them to flow-root.  "inline
flow-root" is our old "inline-block".  "block flow-root" is just a
block that generates a BFC.

> (I think you're asserting it means "change the element to have
> "display:inline-block".  This seems reasonable; I'm just wondering
> whether that's specced anywhere yet.)

Not *quite* yet.  I'll need to add the term to Display.