Re: multiple values for FONT similar to font-family

From: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 22:40:04 +0300
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Onur TOPAL <o_topal@yahoo.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
22.01.2015, 22:14, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
> Usually, when you're dealing with fonts that are
> "different size" when given the same font-size, what you're trying to
> do is match up the "x-height", as that is an important visual cue when
> reading, and it disturbs our eyes to see it change within a line.
> font-size-adjust does does for you automatically.

A common issue with using downloadable fonts is that they may be much _narrower_ (horizontally, height has nothing to do with this) than default OS fonts, and this difference in character width may break page layout (e.g. if a horizontal menu uses {display: table} and close-packed arrangement of words in conjunction with a narrow downloadable nonstandard font).

What would probably be a real solution is to have in CSS something like Font Loading API in JS:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css-font-loading/