Re: multiple values for FONT similar to font-family

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:
> 22.01.2015, 22:14, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
>> Usually, when you're dealing with fonts that are
>> "different size" when given the same font-size, what you're trying to
>> do is match up the "x-height", as that is an important visual cue when
>> reading, and it disturbs our eyes to see it change within a line.
>> font-size-adjust does does for you automatically.
>
> A common issue with using downloadable fonts is that they may be much _narrower_ (horizontally, height has nothing to do with this) than default OS fonts, and this difference in character width may break page layout (e.g. if a horizontal menu uses {display: table} and close-packed arrangement of words in conjunction with a narrow downloadable nonstandard font).

One should be careful when choosing fallback fonts to find ones that
are similar in appearance, and be careful when designing a page to
make your layout robust enough to accommodate font differences
(particularly as users may have forced the font-size to be larger than
you originally designed the page with).

That's called "the @font-face rule".