Re: Where is the "complete document"

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Sam Pinkus <sgpinkus@gmail.com> wrote:
> These first sentence of the abstract of the W3 document titled
> "Introduction to CSS3" (www.w3.org/TR/css3-roadmap) states:

Woah, *that's* an old document.  It'll celebrate its 14th birthday
this year!  You should treat that document as 100% obsolete; while it
does describe some of the work that has been done in CSS in the
subsequent 14 years, it also describes a large number of things we
have long since decided not to pursue, and is missing a ton of things
we've done since then.

>     "The members of the CSS&FP Working Group have decided to modularize
> the CSS specification. This modularization will help to clarify the
> relationships between the different parts of the specification, and
> reduce the size of the complete document."
>
> Where is that "complete document". I realize CSS3 is a "modular"
> specification. But this should not mean documentation cannot be
> presented in a single document (I personally found the single document
> presentation of CSS2.1 very beneficial in learning). Does it? Is there a
> plan to make it? I can't find it. If it does exist I think a link in
> this document would help.

There is no complete document.  At the time that Roadmap document was
made, 14 years ago, there was probably still some feeling that we
would produce an omnibus CSS3 spec similar to the 2.1 spec, but that
feeling died a long time ago.  (If we ever do produce such a thing,
it'll be automated.)

You can see all of our specs at http://dev.w3.org/csswg/, though,
which is *similar* to having an omnibus document with a
not-very-useful title page!