[css-device-adaptation] Progress?

From: David Bokan <bokan@chromium.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:41:14 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Matt Rakow <marakow@microsoft.com>, Kenneth Christiansen <kenneth.r.christiansen@intel.com>, Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
As far as I can tell this spec hasn't made any progress in well over a
year. Is there any interest in moving this forward and out of ED? IE
already mostly (fully?) supports this through @-ms-viewport and I think
we'd be interested in shipping this in Chrome as well.

All desktop browsers now support pinch-zoom but there's currently no way to
limit/disable it (try pinch-zooming on Google Maps before the touch
handlers are registered to see why this is a problem). I can't see a path
where we could enable the viewport <meta> on the desktop since it would
break a large chunk of the web. @viewport looks to me like the best way
forward to give authors a rational way to control the viewport across the
entirety of the web.

I'm happy to help out here in any way I can.

Thanks,
David