box-shadow blending and compositing

From: Jakub Fiala <j4kub.fiala@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:35:47 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi everyone,

just wondering – are there any plans to include box shadow compositing properties in the upcoming CSS specs? What I mean is being able to have a shadow that isn’t visible on its own, but causes a gradual ‘fade’ effect on the content below, something that I might be able to do with globalCompositeOperation=‘destination-out’ on a Canvas. I found an Adobe doc suggesting a box-shadow-blending property, but not many people seem to be talking about it elsewhere. I think it could be extremely useful, especially in these trendy ‘looped <video> as background’ designs.

Thanks a lot,

jakub fiala
@j4kubfiala
http://fiala.uk <http://fiala.uk/>