Re: [css-2015] CSS Snapshot

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:55:40 +1100
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 08/02/15 10:13, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> On 08 Feb 2015, at 09:45, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>> With the goal of eventually retiring CSS 2, does it make sense for
>> its chapters 1 and 2 (About and Introduction) to be moved into
>> (superseded by something in) CSS Snapshot?

Chapter 3 as well.

> See this discussion that starts here, on mostly the same topic:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Feb/0069.html

Interesting. I personally would very much like CSS 2.x to become as
obsolete as CSS 1 is today. I know its gonna take time, but well work
toward it piece by piece.

> I would say eventually yes, but it's going to be a while until CSS2
> is retired, so there is no rush to find a new host for the intro.

Sure, there is no rush. But if were making a new Snapshot its a good
opportunity to pull in the intro and other things that dont really fit
in any specific module, making fewer pieces of 2.x we need to find a new
home for.

>> By the way, I made a mapping of CSS 2 sections to Level 3+ specs
>> that supersede them:
>
> Nice! Although I think we should extend bikeshed so that we can have
> some metadata in the .bs file for declaring what section of what
> specs (if any) a spec is superseding or extending, and generate
> directly from that both the "modules interaction" section of each
> spec as well as the kind mapping you've been doing manually.

Sure, Id be happy to point to a generated thing rather than maintain it
manually.

>> https://github.com/servo/servo/wiki/Relevant-spec-links#css-2
>
> You're missing 18.1 and 18.4, which are superseded by css3-ui (and
> maybe other things, but at least that).

Thanks, added.

--
Simon Sapin