Re: [css-scoping] Shadow Cascading

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 09:52:02 +1100
To: Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com>
Cc: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com> wrote:
> Looks like the current spec wants to say:
>
> 1. The Origin and Importance matters
> 2. [Shadow Tree] The outer wins the inner (only when there is an
> ancestor/descendant relationship between two node trees)
> 3. [Shadow Tree] The younger wins the older (only when they are hosted by
> the same shadow host)
> 4. Specificity matters
> 5. Order of Appearance in tree-of-trees matters

Yes.  As far as I can tell, that's *exactly* what the spec is saying.
Is there anything unclear?

Note that you can fall all the way down to criteria 5 if, for example,
one shadow root reaches into a sibling shadow root and then into the
shadow of something else inside of there.  When comparing that
declaration with one from inside the "something else", neither
criteria 2 nor criteria 3 apply, so you end up having to compare
specificity and ordering.