Re: [css-scoping] Shadow Cascading

On Wed Feb 04 2015 at 8:49:06 PM Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 4, 2015 7:24 PM, "Rune Lillesveen" <rune@opera.com> wrote:

> >> OK, I'm fine with using "tree of trees", but aren't sibling shadow
> >> trees also different scopes? That is, the scoping root is the shadow
> >> root and sibling shadow trees each have a separate shadow root? They
> >> currently are in Blink fwiw.
> >
> > Not quite. You can, via `:host >>> .foo`, select into sibling shadows
> from
> > inside one of the shadows.
>
> Sure, but that's a scope crossing rule. My point was that the
> cascading order between rules in different shadow trees for the same
> host is still governed by:
>
> "When comparing two declarations, if one of them is in a shadow tree
> and the other is in a document that contains that shadow tree, then
> for normal rules the declaration from the outer document wins, and for
> important rules the declaration from the shadow tree wins."
>
> as order of appearance is further down the list in [1]. So, perhaps
> that statement should mention a tree-of-trees order instead of
> inner/outer.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css-cascade-3/#cascading

That would change the order of precedence, wouldn't that?

Looks like the current spec wants to say:

1. The Origin and Importance matters
2. [Shadow Tree] The outer wins the inner (only when there is an
ancestor/descendant relationship between two node trees)
3. [Shadow Tree] The younger wins the older (only when they are hosted by
the same shadow host)
4. Specificity matters
5. Order of Appearance in tree-of-trees matters