Re: [css-ruby] Tone mark of bopomofo in ruby

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 00:13:14 +0900
To: Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>
Cc: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Bobby Tung <bobbytung@wanderer.tw> wrote:
> Hi Koji
>
>> When you say "make tool to generate ruby marked HTML for authors",
>> what kind of tag are you trying to generate? Nested ruby?
>
> We have made a prototype tool for generate ruby with MOEDICT API :
>
> https://www.moedict.tw/lab/ruby/
>
> You can input Hanzi, it will automatically get possible pronunciations from MOE's data, let authors to choose right one.
>
> Then generate mono-ruby, not nested.

This page does not position tone marks at all. I'd like to understand
how you want to position tone marks.

>> I have no idea what the light tone marks are for and how they're used,
>> so if you say it's better to change IME, Word, Pages, and all other
>> software, ah...ok, it looks it's harder way to me, but that's your
>> call.
>
> I have tried several ways to find out how to let authors input Bopomofo ruby easier. Actually direct by Bopomofo IME is no a good idea.
>
> From Word and Pages' function then export to HTML is ok, [1] But not perfect.
>
> [1]: https://vimeo.com/118596187

I can't see the file.

I guess we're not on the same page, sorry if this is my English
problem. Let me try to re-write as simple as possible.

1. Do you want browsers to re-order the light tone marks, or do you
think it should be done in the source HTML files?
2. I recommend you to initiate an open source font project that
handles positioning of second/third/forth tone marks. Fonts only with
Bopomofo characters should not be too hard.

Does this make sense?

/koji