Re: [selectors4] :blank, ::first-letter, and what a whitespace character is

From: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:36:22 +0300
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
25.08.2015, 18:12, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>:
>> On Aug 25, 2015, at 7:53 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're not trying to be fancy here, just sync up our definitions of
>> "basic whitespace".
>
> NBSP is extremely common for showing up in documents to separate elements and such. Mostly where it's not desired, often because of the way it got typed into some editor. I think it should be included. It's not a request to be fancy. It's really very basic and common.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to make whitespace definition to match ever-expanding set of Unicode characters instead of some concrete consistent backward/forward compatible set of characters.

For your purposes, it would probably make sense to have a pseudo-class function like `trim()` that would take specific set of arbitrary characters to trim as its argument, e.g.:

    .example:trim("\A0"):empty {
        /* styles for elements that contain just non-breaking-space characters */
    }