Re: [css-ruby] CSS ruby tests

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 14:50:11 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>, "CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org)" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On 24/08/2015 11:38, Richard Ishida wrote:
> over the weekend i developed a set of basic, user-oriented tests for css
> ruby properties and behaviours, and produced results for major browsers.
>
> you can find the results and links to tests at
> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/css-ruby

i fixed the tests per Xidorn's comments and re-tested all the browsers.
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/css-ruby

Here is a new high-level summary for Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and
Edge:

all browsers put the annotations 'over' the base by default. Firefox
allows you to move the annotation to the other side, as do Chrome, Opera
and Safari if you use proprietary syntax. No browser supports bopomofo
annotations.

Firefox supports all the ruby-align values except space-around, as far
as I can tell. It also doesn't justify by adding space between two-word
annotations - it's not clear to me what the right expectation should be.
  The other browsers other browsers align as 'space-around' by default,
but Edge supports center and supports start behaviour with a proprietary
value (left). Edge always stretches latin words, rather than the spaces
between them.

there is no support for ruby-merge:collapse

no browser hides an annotation if it is identical to the base text it
annotates (eg. for 'furigana') (although Firefox does so with rbrbrtrt
markup model).

ri