Re: [css-inline] Wrapping around initial letters

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 07/24/2015 04:21 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> At the Sydney F2F we resolved [1] to add full kerning around initial
>> letters. I've written up a rough outline of a proposal at
>> [2]. The basic idea is for an initial-letter-wrap property with values
>> (none | auto | first-line). None is the default, and
>> current behavior. Auto allows the line boxes adjacent to the initial
>> letter to just touch the ink of the initial letter (plus
>> some offset). First-line just makes the adjustment on the first line, and
>> leaves the default behavior on the other lines.
>> Illustrations at [2] should help make this clearer.
>
> Dave Cramer and I merged all of this into a new ED last week:
>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-inline/#initial-letter-wrapping

I discussed this with our implementors earlier this week, and the
conclusion was that, while the rest of initial-letter was fine,
initial-letter-wrap would end up being quite expensive, and we'd
prefer not to support it, at least for now.  We don't currently
retrieve the ink geometry of letters for any reason outside the
shaping engine, and adding code for it would be a relatively large
investment for what appears to be a fairly small benefit.

(The initial-letter stuff itself is low-priority for us; we're fine
with it, but we'll probably wait to implement until we start getting
author demand due to other browsers implementing.)

Could we mark that section as at-risk?