Re: [css3-box] Float start/end issue

[please don't top post http://wiki.csswg.org/tools/www-style ]

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Salar Khalilzadeh <salar2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On the other hand, that means you can't set "float: start;" on a bunch
>> of elements in some container and expect them to float to the same
>> side.
>>
>> We've addressed this in the Alignment module by having start/end base
>> themselves off the container's direction, and having separate
>> self-start/self-end values that base themselves on the item's
>> direction.
>
> Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that module.
> But now after reading that module I'm confused! Wasn't
> justify-self/align-content/... only for flex!

Originally, yes, but it was extended to Grid Layout, and the Alignment
spec extends it to all the other block-level display types.

> Doesn't this mean we will have two approach for a same issue? (or I haven't
> read enough?)
> e.g.:  float:right; justify-self:right;

Nope, floating is a totally different thing.  The align/justify
properties just align children to one side or the other; floating has
lots of additional rules about allowing the other contents to flow
around them, etc.

~TJ