[css-variables][I18N-ISSUE-353] Section 2.1 case sensitivity and normalization/matching

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 19:43:40 +0000
To: "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
Hello CSS,

I am forwarding the following issue on:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css-variables-1/

This issue is a personal comment, as the I18N WG has not had an opportunity to consider it yet.

===
Section 2.1

<quote>
The values of custom properties, and the values of var() functions substituted into custom properties, are case-sensitive, and must be preserved in their original author-given casing. (Many CSS values are case-insensitive, which user agents can take advantage of by "canonicalizing" them into a single casing, but that isn’t allowed for custom properties.)
</quote>

As with I18N-ISSUE-352 the relationship of string identity matching for other textual variations (such as normalization form) should possibly be mentioned.

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)

Internationalization is not a feature.