[css-variables][I18N-ISSUE-352] normalization and matching of custom property names

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 19:41:15 +0000
To: "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
Hello CSS,

I am forwarding the following issue on:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css-variables-1/

This issue is a personal comment, as the I18N WG has not had an opportunity to consider it yet.

===

Section 2 says in part:

<quote>
Unlike other CSS properties, custom property names are case-sensitive.

EXAMPLE. While both --foo and --FOO are valid, they are distinct properties - using var(--foo) will refer to the first one, while using var(--FOO) will refer to the second.
</quote>

Case sensitivity is not the only variation that can apply to text. While citing the case sensitivity is useful, should mention be made of other variations, such as Unicode Normalization? I believe that the actual restriction is that the text must be identical.

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)

Internationalization is not a feature.