Re: [css-text] i18n-ISSUE-345: Arabic Hyphenation

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 16:08:38 -0700
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>, www International <www-international@w3.org>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On 27/05/14 2:12 PM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Then perhaps we should replace the Arabic example with one in Uighur.

I wrote a paper on Uighur text handling for Adobe a few years ago.
Here's the section on line breaking:

	Reinhard F. Hahn (_Spoken Uyghur_ 1991) describes
	the traditional convention for splitting words at
	linebreaks:

	"No particular symbol is used to indicate end-of-line
	divisions in the kona yeziq. Where applicable, the
	last letter before a division appears in its initial
	or medial form, and the first letter after a division
	appears in its medial or final form. In other words,
	they appear as though they were still connected,
	despite being on two different lines."

	Recent books we consulted that employ word division
	in line breaking -- e.g. Davamĕt 1993, Samsaḳ 1985 --
	follow this convention but with the addition of an
	explicit hyphen which is similar in form to a straight
	kashida (U+0640 ARABIC TATWEEL). This mark is inserted
	after both left-connecting and non-connecting letters
	at line-end. It is not known how this convention should
	be handled from an encoding and line layout perspective,
	so no recommendation is made for font implementation
	at this time.

The attached image illustrates the convention described in the last
paragraph.

The books referenced are:

	Davamĕt, Tömür. _Söyümlük yurtum Şincañ._ Urumçi.
		Şincañ H̱ĕlḳ Nĕşriyati, 1993.

	Hahn, Reinhard F. _Spoken Uyghur._ Seattle.
		University of Washington Press, 1991

	Samsaḳ, Turdi. _Aẖirĕttin kĕlgĕnlĕr : roman._
		Urumçi. Şincañ Yaşlar Nĕşriyati, 1985.

JH

Uighur_word_division.png
(image/png attachment: Uighur_word_division.png)