Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

On 5/27/2014 5:51 AM, Lina Kemmel wrote:
> I think one of possible solutions could be painting to 2 different graphic
> contexts.
> I.e. paint the whole ligature to one GC while lam is clipped out, and
> paint the whole ligature again to another GC with alif being clipped out.
> Of course, to simulate a single lam-alif, accurate measurements to
> properly set positions/clipping would be needed.
If you magically know the extent of the "lam" part of the ligature and
the "alif" part of the ligature...

I think inserting markup between parts of an obligatory (or intended)
ligature is a mistake by the author and requiring complex support to
force this to "work" is counter productive.

On the contrary, the expectation should be clear that ligatures are
broken, so that authors can get visual feedback and proof their work.

A./