I18N-ISSUE-344: Wording of section 7.4.4 Cursive Scripts [CSS3-text]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 16:14:55 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org,www-international@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-344: Wording of section 7.4.4 Cursive Scripts [CSS3-text]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: CSS3-text

7.4.4 Cursive Scripts
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-3/#justify-cursive

"Justification must not introduce gaps between visually-perceived letters of cursive scripts such as Arabic."

I guess that to be pedantic that ought to say 'between joined visually-perceived letters'.

"If it is able, the UA may translate space distributed to justification opportunities within a run of such visually-perceived letters into some form of cursive elongation for that run."

I don't really understand the meaning of "translate space distributed to justification opportunities". Is there a typo there?

"It otherwise must assume that no justification opportunity exists between any pair of visually-perceived letters in cursive script."

Again, I think this should refer to 'joined' letters only, since gaps produced by letters that don't join to the left appear to be a legitimate target for justification in some cases (in conjunction with inter-word spacing).

[this comment has not been reviewed by the i18n WG]