Re: [css-inline] Summary of drop-caps/initial-letters discussion

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:

> And for the books where only part of the first word continues in small
> caps?  Including, but not limited to, Shakespeare:
>

> http://130.132.81.94/dl_crosscollex/brbldl/oneITEM.asp?pid=10000551&iid=1378064&srchtype=ITEM

That example looks like a 3-line initial letter H (with, um, suboptimal
alignment), followed by a capital E.

Another very common design for us is a 2- or 3-line initial letter, with
the rest of the first line in small caps. That should be quite possible,
using both ::first-letter and ::first-line.

I'm not sure a selector that applied to part of a word would be broadly
useful. Perhaps a time to resort to markup...

Dave