Re: [css-inline] Summary of drop-caps/initial-letters discussion

From: Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 11:08:48 +0100 (IST)
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Dave Cramer" <dauwhe@gmail.com>
On Tue, May 20, 2014 9:01 am, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:

>> From the few examples of Arabic I've found, it seems more common to drop
>> the first word rather than the first letter. OpenOffice.org drop caps
>> feature has a "whole word" option which handles this.  With this
>> proposal,
>> the first word would have to be wrapped in an element to handle this,
>> right?
>>

> Correct. I wonder if there's interest in a ::first-word pseudo-element.
> The
> books we publish often set the first three words of each chapter in all
> caps; ::first-n-word(3) would be nice ;)

And for the books where only part of the first word continues in small
caps?  Including, but not limited to, Shakespeare:

http://130.132.81.94/dl_crosscollex/brbldl/oneITEM.asp?pid=10000551&iid=1378064&srchtype=ITEM

Regards,

Tony.

Tony Graham                                         tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                       http://www.mentea.net
Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C    XML Guild member
Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming