[css-grid] 'grid-auto-flow: stack' and items with span > 1

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 21:41:40 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com>
The 'stack' value of grid-auto-flow is currently defined as:

> The auto-placement algorithm is run with a single hypothetical 1◊1
> grid item, as if grid-auto-flow: row or grid-auto-flow: column were
> specified, depending on whether row or column is specified alongside
> it, respectively. If neither row nor column are specified, it
> defaults to running the algorithm as if grid-auto-flow: row were
> specified.
>
> Wherever the hypothetical item would be placed,

The item is 1◊1, so this is a 1◊1 grid area.

> all auto-placed items are placed there, stacked atop one another.
> (This happens even if the auto-placed item is greater than 1◊1, even
> if doing so would cause it to overlap explicitly-placed grid items.)

What does "there" mean for items bigger than 1◊1?

I suggest: all auto-placed items are placed, stacked atop one another,
at a grid position determined from the grid-column-start and
grid-row-start values of the hypothetical item, but keep their
(explicit, implicit, or defaulted) grid span. The itemís grid-column-end
and grid-row-end values will only match that of the hypothetical item if
the grid span is 1 in the corresponding direction.

--
Simon Sapin