Re: [cssom-view] value of scrollLeft in RTL situations is completely busted across browsers

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 19:40:08 +1200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, Matt Rakow <marakow@microsoft.com>
I think it's pretty obvious which behavior I think we should standardize on
here, but I'll spell it out :-). Adopting B everywhere has the following
advantages:
-- Matches window.pageXOffset in all browsers
-- Matches event.pageX in all browsers. A and C do not match any of the
event attributes.
-- Matches 2/3 browsers and spec for window.scrollX
-- For element.scrollLeft, no worse on browser compat than A or C.
-- Avoids making direction logical, which while appealing in some ways
occurs nowhere else in CSS

Whichever behavior we choose breaks some properties that hold in LTR pages.
B preserves the "direction increases to the right" property and the "set
position to 0 to get the initial, logical start position" property.

If we choose A or C for any attributes then we will have inconsistency with
window.pageXOffset and event.pageX (at least) and at least two browsers
will have to change behavior for each attribute.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w