Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

* Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> Yes, this is just another syntax possibility for custom property
>>> names, which is exactly what I'm asking about.  Totally possible.
>>
>> Unfortunately, "--" would require a change to Syntax. IDENT isn't allowed to
>> start with two dashes in a row.
>
>Whoops, you're right.  Forgot about that detail.  Well, -- is ruled out then.

That seems an odd position considering how often the Working Group has
changed details of the core syntax over the years. Unless I am missing
something, either way the declaration and only the declaration would be
dropped, so there is no backwards-compatibility concern. And using the
"--" as infix only would seem preferable over using it as prefix any-
way. I do not think "--" is much better than the underscore, but I do
think the question above deserves a better answer than simply pointing
to the Syntax specification without elaboration.