Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On 14/03/2014 01:30, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, "--" would require a change to Syntax. IDENT isn't allowed to
>>> start with two dashes in a row.
>>
>> Whoops, you're right.  Forgot about that detail.  Well, -- is ruled out then.
>
> That seems an odd position considering how often the Working Group has
> changed details of the core syntax over the years. Unless I am missing
> something, either way the declaration and only the declaration would be
> dropped, so there is no backwards-compatibility concern. And using the
> "--" as infix only would seem preferable over using it as prefix any-
> way. I do not think "--" is much better than the underscore, but I do
> think the question above deserves a better answer than simply pointing
> to the Syntax specification without elaboration.

Fair enough. We can change Syntax, and have in the past. In this case
however, we’re pretty late in the development of css-variables. At least
one browser is ready to ship it Very Soon.

Changing the definition of <ident-token> is significantly more
disruptive than Tab’s original proposal in this thread. Is "--" really
worth this?

--
Simon Sapin