Re: [css-writing-modes] Rename extent/measure to block-size/inline-size?

On Wednesday 2014-03-12 18:29 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-03-12 22:02 (GMT) Simon Sapin composed:
>
> >I’m not especially attached to "size", as long as it’s
> >"inline-something" and "block-something". Do you have suggestions for
> >what the "something" should be? Some options are dimension, length,
> >breadth, extent, ...
>
> Length and breadth in familiar contexts often tend to connote width.
> Among the 4, dimension is my first choice for its less connotative
> meaning, but I also like extent because it is shorter. Expanse I
> like too.

Dimension seems too much like which of width or height you're
picking rather than what they are.

I'm fine with size, length, breadth, or extent (or measure, although
not listed above).  Length, however, has the issue that it's the
term we use for all one-dimensional size measurements in CSS.

> Scope, sweep, limit and reach might be others (also
> shorter) to consider, maybe reach best among them.

I think these (and expanse above) sound too much like concepts
rather than numbers (except for limit, but that sounds more like
max/min-width than width).

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂