Re: [css-writing-modes] Rename extent/measure to block-size/inline-size?

On 12/03/2014 17:18, Chris Lilley wrote:
> I see from todays telcon
> "RESOLVED: Rename measure and extent to inline-something and
> block-something with something TBA ASAP"
> Okay, but (for the benefit of typographers and designers reading the
> spec) I would like to see the term "the measure" used as part of the
> textual explanation for inline-something - 'in typesetting, this is
> often called "the measure"' or something along those lines.

Yes, we should mention typographyís "measure" in the definition of 
inline-size (or inline-something), but Iíd rather it not be the term we 
use all over our specs to refer to this concept.

As someone not familiar with typography, I donít know which is which 
between measure and extent. (Iíve learned it by now, but I still managed 
to get it wrong today on the call.)

By the way, do you have an opinion on what "something" should be in 
"inline-something" and "block-something"? Some options are size, 
dimension, length, breadth, extent, ...

Simon Sapin

Received on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 17:32:07 UTC