Re: [mediaqueries] Add "<" and ">" syntax?

On 13/11/13 00:17, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:
>
>  > Media Queries currently states that it purposely went with the
>  > min/max- prefix approach for range-type queries specifically to avoid
>  > any issues with the "<" character in HTML/XML syntax.
>
> Yes, we were forced to use the contrived min/max syntax due to
> SGML/XML. If I recall correctly, only "<" was technically banned.
>
>  > Instead, I propose we add another syntax possibility to MQs:
>  >
>  > (width < 400px)
>  > (device-height > 1000px)
>
> This is much better.

This is not only better. This is _finally_ the original MQ syntax [1]
that we were forced to forget [2] and move to min-/max- [3]. Yes, I am the
guilty one for suggesting this but we had no other choice at that time.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-mediaqueries-20010404/
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2000OctDec/0083.html
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2000OctDec/0086.html

</Daniel>