Re: [shadowdom]: Using :root to specify the insertion point in ::distributed

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com> wrote:
> I have one concern for the naming of ':root'.
>
> I am afraid that It might be misleading that ':root' matches
> 'top-level elements in the distributed set' rather than 'insertion
> point' itself.
> There are multiple such roots. That's not intuitive for me. ':root' is
> likely to imply 'insertion point' itself because it's *root* of such
> elements.
>
> So instead of reusing ':root' in this context, how about having a more
> intuitive name, like ':child-of-shadow-host' or something?

The issue with that is that we run into the exact same problem with
::shadow() - if you want to select only the top-level elements inside
of a shadow root, what selector do you use?  Do we invent *another*
pseudoclass that's identical except for the name?

I'm personally okay with :root meaning "an element without a parent in
this view of the tree".