Re: [css3-grid-layout] Dense auto layout

Tab Atkins Jr. skriver:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net> wrote:
>> I have read the grid layout module and I think that it is very good, but
>> there is one thing that bothers me.
>>
>> It is about the automatic grid placement. I think that it has a problem
>> with spanned grid items. Namely, it leaves holes of unused space in the
>> grid in some situations.
>
> I strongly agree that dense packing is useful, but it has some
> downsides as well:
> * it has worse performance (n^2 rather than n, though most of the time
> the n will be small)
> * it can sometimes be confusing, as elements late in document order
> can appear before elements much earlier than them in document order,
> if they're the first thing to fit in that hole (but most of the time,
> holes will be filled pretty quickly)
>
> Because of this, I suggest a switch on the grid-auto-flow property
> that controls whether the packing is dense or loose.

Make it multi value and have the second value be optional? I prefer the
terms "sparse" and "dense", since the terms are already commonly used
when talking about data structures with holes in them.

I don't have a preference about the default.